Book Talk | Yesteryear
When I started seeing people post about this book, I kind of wanted to read it, but I also didn't have the highest hopes for it, so I wanted to borrow it from my local library in case I just wasn't into it so I could easily give it back. Well, it's pretty backed up at all the library branches and there's so many holds, so I went to Half Price Books, who usually has 20% off new and popular titles, and what would you know, I found it in the used section for half-off. It was a steal, because in the end, I enjoyed this book much more than I thought I would.
About the Author
About the Book
Natalie lives a traditional lifestyle – and her followers are sick with envy. Her charming farmhouse on her working ranch is artfully cluttered, her husband is a handsome cowboy, her homemade sourdough boules are each more beautiful than the last. So what if there are nannies and producers and industrial-grade ovens behind the scenes? What her followers don’t know won’t hurt them.
Then, one morning, Natalie wakes up in a strange, horrible version of reality. Her home, her husband, her children—they’re all familiar, but something’s off. Is this a hoax? A reality show? A test from God? Natalie knows just two things for sure: this isn't her perfect life, and she must escape, by any means possible.
Book Talk
Natalie Heller Mills is both the main character and our antagonist in this story. Kudos to our author for creating a main character who is so unlikable, I couldn't wait for the tables to turn and her downfall to come. Every time I tried to have sympathy for her, she kept pushing the boundaries of being a nasty person. For example, her roommate in college, Reena, is not a great person, yes she's young, naive, and a bit of a bully to Natalie, but as Natalie grows older and keeps up with Reena and her life, I found myself hoping the best for Reena instead of Natalie. I also hoped that Caleb would come out of the other side of being a conspiracy theorists, and was happy when he finally found the other side, even if it was just for a moment. But Natalie? Natalie was just as nasty to everyone in her life and if someone was mean to her, she never let it go for the entirety of her life. Like girl, aren't you tired of being angry? In the end, she was the angry women.
*Minor Spoiler* Enough about Natalie for a moment, the other great aspect of this story is the twist. Oh my gosh, the twist. At first, I was convinced of the whole "going back in time" thing, but as the story progressed, I knew something was up, I just didn't think it would be that out there. Wow. And you know what? I don't think I feel that bad for Natalie. She was a manipulative woman until the end.
However, the very last few pages did make me sad. I felt bad, not really for Natalie, but for her children. For the childhood that she robbed them from. All the experiences. It made me sad not just for the children in this book, for those children that are living a version of this life. I hope they find a way out, and I hope they have the strength to move forward.
Overall, I enjoyed this book in a sadistic kind of way. There's really well thought-out characters, a very interesting plot, and so many emotions that come from reading this book. If you're looking for something different to read, pick this one up because it won't disappoint.
Until next time, Happy Reading!

Comments
Post a Comment